BIG Spring Camp 2022
433 people attending
66 places left
This event page is for BIG Spring Camp in 2022.
Bookings for the 2021 event, which will not be going ahead, have been rolled over to the 2022 event which takes place on Thursday 2 June - Sunday 5 June 2022. Those with existing bookings have been contacted separately to inform them of the date change, and to advise that should they no longer be able to make the date, a full refund is available if cancelled before 30 June 2021. After that date, standard terms and conditions apply.
After a whopping three years without the joy that is BIG Spring Camp, OutdoorLads is back over the extended Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend in June 2022 and we'll be making this the best BIG Spring Camp ever!
We'll be returning to North Wales where we will have full use of the site and be on the doorstep of an outdoor playground with the dramatic scenery and adrenaline experiences of Snowdonia National Park and the surrounds right on our doorstep. Come and celebrate OutdoorLads and the outdoors in a three day break of activities, exercise and our legendary themed party nights if that's your bag; or use the opportunity for more of a chilled weekend soaking up the scenery and relaxing in your camp chair, it really is up to you.
Our successful pop-up micro-pub, The Outdoor Inn, will be making a return in 2021 so there is a quieter contrast to the party-focused clubhouse. It will feature our own portable bar, which has draught lager, draught cider and cask ale plus a full range of spirits, premium tonic waters, wines and prosecco, plus a wide range of soft drinks and non-alcoholic lager.
(Did you know you can hire our portable bar for your own events, birthdays, weddings and parties - and raise money for a charity of your choice and/or OutdoorLads at the same time. Click here for more details).
The OutdoorLads kitchen will provide hearty meals to see you through the weekend, and with a total menu overall and an excellent professional chef in residence, we're excited to be significantly upgrading our catering offering and know you're going to love it!
With a packed entertainment programme to ensure you can never be bored, this will be another fabulous weekend of fun and friends - don't miss it!
Not been before and want to get a taste of the event? Check out this fantastic video captured by Daniel Wynnn-Powell.
Once again there will be a host of free and paid for activities, and we'll be looking to introduce some new ones in 2021. Details will be made available here nearer the time - we expect them to go live in January 2021. You can expect plenty of walks of all distances and difficulty, on-road and mountain biking, outdoor climbing, paddle sports, and adventure activoties such as extreme zip-lining, sea-level traverse and a few new surprises thrown into the mix for good measure too!
THE CLUB HOUSE AND MARQUEE
The OutdoorLads bar is a permanent fixture in the club house offering an indoor space to relax and eat during the day/early evening then later it becomes a lively space with entertainment into the early hours.
Saturday Night: TBA
Sunday Night: TBC
We have a range of draught real ales and lagers, cider, wine and spirts as well as soft and hot drinks. The Bar is operated by our own OutdoorLads volunteers. The prices are kept low and all the profit made goes right back into supporting the charity. We'll also have The Outdoor Inn, our own pop-up micro-pub as a nice contrast where it's easier to chat. Both bars will be serving a full range of drinks, including draught pints.
The Outdoor Chill-out Area is available to use anytime up to 11pm, with a cosy fire pit it is a quiet space where campers can relax.
CAMP SITE INFORMATION
The camp is in a fantastic spot near Betws-y-Coed in the Snowdonia National Park, North Wales. The site is easily accessible with good public transport links and next to some of the most amazing locations for all the outdoor pursuits the UK has to offer. This site is only used for camping by OutdoorLads, and we have exclusive use of the site and all its facilities.
- Licensed Bars
- Food served every day
- Hot, high pressure showers
- Toilets & wash rooms
- Changing areas
- Washing up area
- Drinking water taps
- Recycling area
- Floodlit camping area on Friday evening (to help get the tent up if you arrive late!)
CAMP RULES - Whilst we don't like too many rules, a few are necessary for a successful event for all:
- No glass policy. This is a rugby club with pitches - this rule will be strictly enforced
- You must respect other campers and their property
- Quiet camping between 23:00 and 07:00 - there are designated areas to socialise and talk away from peoples' tents
- Please pitch tents at least 6 feet / 2 metres apart. Any closer and it represents a fire risk
- This is a camping event, designed for tents. Caravans, campervans, motorhomes and trailer tents (indeed anything you want to sleep in that isn't a traditional fabric tent!) are only permitted if you have a booked and confirmed a place for such, at additional cost. Places will go on sale nearer the time, around January 2021. Six metres between units minimum. Numbers are restricted to 15 units. No awnings allowed. No exceptions will be made.
- All vehicles must be parked in the car park and are not permitted on the camping fields
- No dogs on site at any time - this is a rugby club with pitches. This will be strictly enforced.
- Open fires are not allowed - BBQs are okay, but must be raised off the ground so as to not scorch the grass.
- You are responsible for keeping your camping area clean and tidy - please ensure it is left in the state you found it when you leave.
- All waste and recycling must be sorted and disposed of in the appropriate area on site, not left on the camping fields.
- Campsite opens Thursday 2 June at a time TBC for general admission. Early entry may be made available nearer the time at additional cost.
- Unfortunately there are are no day passes to this event, all attendees must book and pay for a place. However, non-attendees are welcome to participate in the off-site associated events.
Prices: As the event was postponed in 2020 and 2021 due to coronavirus, we have kept the event for now at 2020 prices and are honouring existing bookings at that price. We may later need to increase prices for the 2022 event. So get in early to secure our best prices!
Dogs: This event is not suitable for dogs and they must not be brought to the event.
Photos: All photos on this event page are used with permission from Wesley Kristopher Chambers Photography with thanks.
IMPORTANT! - Participation Statement
You MUST complete a Participation Statement in addition to booking your event space before attending an OutdoorLads event. You only need to complete this Participation Statement once, not for each event you attend.
COVID-19 – IMPORTANT, Please read the following before you sign up to this event:
- Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms, even if they are extremely mild, or who lives or is in a support bubble with someone showing symptoms, is asked not to attend. This is in line with the government’s coronavirus advice.
- You must also immediately self-isolate and not attend the event if you or someone in your household or support bubble shows coronavirus symptoms or tests positive. You can find the NHS self-isolation guidance here.
- OutdoorLads’ Covid-19 Policy for hostel and BIG events applies to this event. On arrival, we will need to see evidence that you are fully vaccinated, or have registered a negative lateral flow test in the last 48 hours, or have Covid-19 antibodies. Evidence of this can be obtained via the NHS App in England, with equivalent schemes available in Wales and Scotland. Our full policy and more details can be found here.
What to bring
If you haven’t been camping since you were in the Scouts here is what you need. If it’s your first trip you are likely to want to get away with the bare minimum.
- Tents start off relatively cheap but as they say you get what you pay for. These tend to start from £10 upwards (‘festival tents’) that are light and do the job – but only just. You may find that they leak, break or blow away.
- A thin foam ‘carry mat’ is good to sleep on (under £10) and you can use your clothes to make a pillow. Or if you have the room places like Tesco often sell air beds that cost as little as a fiver.
- Don’t forget you will need something to sleep in. You can buy a sleeping bag from as little as a tenner. This will tend to be thin but will do the job at most summer camps. At camps later in the year you will want something warmer though.
- Some places such as Argos/ASDA sell camping sets where you can buy a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat and a lamp for approx. £50-£60.
- If you have friends that camp you may find it beneficial to talk to them first and they may even lend you some kit.
- You can easily beg a cup of tea from more seasoned campers – but it helps if you have a cup, and don’t forget a plastic glass if you like your wine! If you are coming by car, a folding chair (£10) is great. As you may be sitting outside late into the evening. Some proper warm clothing always comes in handy – even in the summer. Don’t forget a torch, or you may never make it back to your tent. Finally, ear plugs are always a great idea.
- Nearer the time we'll be offering the chance to rent-a-tent for the weekend, which we'll even erect for you in exchange for a donation to the OutdoorLads Foundation.
Once you have been once or twice you will know what kit you need to be able to cook a full English breakfast and host a party for 8 in your tent. Until then the above basics will see you right.
The above information will help you with the camp its self, depending on the activities you choose to do you may need to bring further kit. However its worth noting that any of the activities where special kit is need it will be provided, in most cases all you will need is walking boots, clothes, and a small back-pack (bring a few changes of clothes and footwear).
Food & drink
We will again be running the OutdoorLads catering service in the kitchen. We will have a full range of breakfasts (regular and BIG – and vegetarian versions too) alongside porridge, toast, cereals, egg / beans on toast, etc, so something for everyone.
Throughout the day the bar will be open for snacks and drinks, and from 5pm we’ll also be serving our evening menu, including vegetarian options. No need to go hungry! We’ve worked hard to keep prices reasonable whilst ensuring good quality ingredients, and any money made goes straight back into OutdoorLads, so please use the bar and catering service and support the organisation.