BIG SPRING CLIMB 2020
65 people attending
10 places left
Big Spring Climb 2020!! 6th - 8th March
After the huge success of Clamber Fantastic 2019 the Manchester Climbers are excited to welcome you to the Big Spring Climb 2020!!
What is the Big SPRING CLIMB 2020?
This isn’t a camp or hostel in the traditional OutdoorLads sense, but this is a weekend of indoor climbing and bouldering, with a range of events and experiences - aimed at all levels of climbing, from absolute beginners to complete pros.
Please do sign up to the individual events you’ll be attending so we can liaise with the various centres on expected numbers.
Here’s what’s going on;
Friday 6th March
OutdoorLads Social (Final details to be confirmed very soon)
Saturday 7th March
We’ll focus on Bouldering at the RockOver Bouldering Centre and also have other events planned including KickAir (a giant free-style trampoline park) and ice-climbing, all in the centre of Manchester and in walking distance from the main train stations and Canal Street. Naturally we’ll end the day back in the Village!
Bouldering at Rock Over in Manchester city centre, the home of the OutdoorLads' weekly bouldering events in the North West, with one of the biggest competition walls in the UK as well as a regular training home for the GB Climbing Team in preparation for their Olympic this year! As part of the event Rock Over are kindly putting on a mini competition for us with problems around the centre, so to prepare yourselves why not try one of the workshops?
- Beginners; If this is your first time bouldering just sign up and look out for our leaders in black OutdoorLads t-shirts on the day! They will give you a free introduction/guided session and go through everything you will need to know to start bouldering safely.
- Coaching Workshop - Hooker's Workshop; (1:00pm) Develop your skills with coaching from one of the centre's most experienced coaches, focussing on improving your ability to heel and toe hook
- Coaching Workshop - Building on your Bouldering; (2:00pm) Feel your bouldering ability has plateaued? Looking for some tips and techniques to push your grade. Then give this professionally coached session a shot – aimed at improving your all round bouldering ability.
Kick Air; (4:00pm) An event to bring out the big kid in any of us in an indoor freestyle trampolining park featuring a Ninja Warrior-style obstacle course, total wipeout-style activity and, most importantly, TRAMPOLINES! Amongst the trampolines are various obstacles; dodgeball, basketball, airbags to practice your flips and loads of other fun bits.
Ice Climbing; (6:00pm) Ever wanted to give ice-climbing a try? Well here’s your chance to experience climbing on real ice, with an expert instructor and with all the equipment you’ll need included in the cost!
BigSpring Climb Saturday Social; details coming very soon
Sunday 8th March
We’ll head to Awesome Walls Stockport, the tallest indoor climbing wall in England!! But if climbing isn't your thing - Awesome Walls also has a massive bouldering room with two separate climbing areas so we're running a dedicated Bouldering Session too suitable for beginners.
Climbing; Awesome walls has a fantastic range of climbing walls; gentle slabs, features, cracks, chimneys and incredible overhangs; stepped, concave and convex walls, and did we mention the tall walls? There's over a hundred lines located within the former engine house of Pear Mill – so something for everyone – and if you’re looking to develop you're climbing skills we have a number of dedicated workshops through the afternoon too;
- Beginners Taster Session; If you have never tried indoor climbing before - this event is your perfect opportunity to give it a try with one of our great Climbing Leaders on hand to start your climbing experience, show you the ropes and teach you everything you need to know to climb safely.
- Experienced Climbers Coaching Workshop; Overwhelmed by overhangs? Failing with feeble footwork? Challenged by crimps? Then this professionally coached session will work out your weaknesses and get you to smash those slabs and really push your grade!!
- Fall Training Workshop; Fear of Falling holding you back your progress on lead climbs? Then this professionally coached session will develop your technique and confidence to fall properly, to get comfortable with safely falling, being caught with the rope and your harness by your belayer.
Please Note : Times are the event start times - please see event pages for meeting details as some events will require you to arrive in good time to register at the centre before starting the event.
What about accommodation?
For this event you are free to pick your own accommodation according to your preference of budget and location (or your personal requirement for ‘luxury’...) - indeed the reason for posting this event so soon is to give you the best chances of grabbing a bargain. If you have friends in Manchester, give them a shout and see if they've a spare bed or floor space for a couple of nights. And if you're a Mancunian and have spare room and you'd be happy to put up a fellow ODL'er (or more), then please to leave a comment below.