BIG 15th Birthday Celebration Weekend - Camp
77 people attending
23 places left
Join us in the Peak District this summer to celebrate OutdoorLads' 15th Birthday!
This event page is for the Camping option. There is also a Hostel option available.
To mark OutdoorLads' 15th birthday, we'll be celebrating all things outdoors! Expect lots of outdoor activities over the weekend, as we'll be staying at a specialist outdoor activity centre in the heart of the Peak District, with extensive grounds, and lots of opportunities for outdoor pursuits nearby.
This event will be a bit different to other BIG events, as you'll be able to stay in hostel accommodation, or be a proper OutdoorLad and camp in the grounds for the weekend. There will be a more relaxed vibe on the evening entertainment. Expect more board games, less disco. More chatting with friends old and new over a drink, less dancing with your tops off at 4am (ahem... DJ Dan). Lots of good times reconnecting with friends after an extended absence!
OutdoorLads will have exclusive use of the site, designed for large groups like ours. You can be sure that everybody you meet over the weekend will be an OutdoorLad or a member of staff at the venue.
You can do as much or as little as you desire over the weekend (but we do advise you to get stuck in!). As the event nears we'll be publishing all related events over the weekend. From the usual OutdoorLads variety of walking, climbing, cycling, to the less usual high ropes, canoeing, caving and mine exploration. We'll message attendees in advance of these events going live.
We're planning a wide variety of events over the weekend! Here's what we currently have confirmed (there's more to come!):
All meeting points are at the camp, in the bar area, and times / meeting points will be displayed in the bar on arrival for you to check.
Food: As you're camping, you're obviously welcome to bring and cook your own food on your camping stove / BBQ, but these must be raised off the grass. For a very small cost, you can also book some or all of your meals to avoid the faff of cooking. Details in the 'Food & Drink' section below.
Dogs: This event is not suitable for dogs.
Campervans, caravans, motorhomes: Due to the venues licencing restrictions, we are unable to accept campervans, campervans and motorhomes.
Aerial shots kindly supplied by and used with permission from Will Allaway.
Landscape photograph of tents kindly supplied by and used with permission from Wesley Chambers.
IMPORTANT! - Participation Statement
You MUST complete a Participation Statement in addition to booking your event space before attending an OutdoorLads event. You only need to complete this Participation Statement once, not for each event you attend.
COVID-19 – IMPORTANT, Please read the following before you sign up to this event:
- Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms, even if they are extremely mild, or who lives or is in a support bubble with someone showing symptoms, is asked not to attend. This is in line with the government’s coronavirus advice.
- You must also immediately self-isolate and not attend the event if you or someone in your household or support bubble shows coronavirus symptoms or tests positive. You can find the NHS self-isolation guidance here.
- OutdoorLads’ Covid-19 Policy for hostel and BIG events applies to this event. On arrival, we will need to see evidence that you are fully vaccinated, or have registered a negative lateral flow test in the last 48 hours, or have Covid-19 antibodies. Evidence of this can be obtained via the NHS App in England, with equivalent schemes available in Wales and Scotland. Our full policy and more details can be found here.
What to bring
If you haven’t been camping since you were in the Scouts here is what you need. If it’s your first trip you are likely to want to get away with the bare minimum.
- Tents start off relatively cheap but as they say you get what you pay for. These tend to start from £10 upwards (‘festival tents’) that are light and do the job – but only just. You may find that they leak, break or blow away.
- A thin foam ‘carry mat’ is good to sleep on (under £10) and you can use your clothes to make a pillow. Or if you have the room places like Tesco often sell air beds that cost as little as a fiver.
- Don’t forget you will need something to sleep in. You can buy a sleeping bag from as little as a tenner. This will tend to be thin but will do the job at most summer camps. At camps later in the year you will want something warmer though.
- Some places such as Argos/ASDA sell camping sets where you can buy a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat and a lamp for approx. £50-£60.
- If you have friends that camp you may find it beneficial to talk to them first and they may even lend you some kit.
- You can easily beg a cup of tea from more seasoned campers – but it helps if you have a cup, and don’t forget a plastic glass if you like your wine! If you are coming by car, a folding chair (£10) is great. As you may be sitting outside late into the evening. Some proper warm clothing always comes in handy – even in the summer. Don’t forget a torch, or you may never make it back to your tent. Finally, ear plugs are always a great idea.
Once you have been once or twice you will know what kit you need to be able to cook a full English breakfast and host a party for 8 in your tent. Until then the above basics will see you right.
The above information will help you with the camp its self, depending on the activities you choose to do you may need to bring further kit. However its worth noting that any of the activities where special kit is need it will be provided, in most cases all you will need is walking boots, clothes, and a small back-pack (bring a few changes of clothes and footwear).
Food & drink
If you plan to cook for yourself, please ensure stoves and BBQs are kept raised off the grass so as not to damage it. Campfires are not permitted at this campsite.
If you don't fancy the hassle of campsite catering, you can book some or all of your meals for the weekend with us below!
Tea and coffee will be available free of charge all weekend on a self service basis - please bring your own mug!
The bar will be open throughout the day for your use.