Whaley Bridge to Buxton Circuit - Mountain Biking
3 people attending
5 places left
The route takes us on a mixture of paved roads, bridleways and forest tracks from Whaley Bridge following the River Goyt passing Fernilee and Errwood Reservoirs, before climbing onto the high moorlands to Derbyshire Bridge.
We then take a fast and loose gravelly road into Buxton.
The return route follows the main road for a short distance before joining the rocky Roman Road and bridleways with fine views of the High Peak Hills before dropping back down to Whaley Bridge.
Whilst the route involves several road sections, the road through the Goyt valley will be closed to vehicular traffic on Sundays and the route out of Buxton is presently closed to through traffic due to on going roadworks. Although there are some tough climbs, the whole route is rideable with nothing too technical.
For this ride you will need a good hard tail or full suspension mountain bike.
Want to make a weekend of it ? then link the links below:-
Looking for LGBTQ+ mountain biking groups in the UK? Read our full guide on gay mountain biking groups
OutdoorLads Events Calendars
You can now go directly to our events calendar pages by bookmarking the follow links:
You MUST complete the Participation Statement at https://outdoorlads.events/CyclingParticipation in addition to booking your event space before attending a cycling event.
Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms, even if they are extremely mild, or who has recently tested positive for Covid-19, is asked not to attend.
What to bring
Apart from your bike remember the following:.
- Spare inner tube and tyre levers. Also any special tools that your bike needs.
- Food - bring lunch and small snacks such as chocolate bars and energy foods.
- Plenty of water (minimum 2lts)
- Eye protection - impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass and not too shaded.
- Clothing: choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Shorts are best even in rain, as they allow free movement of your legs. Jeans are useless if it rains but tracksuit bottoms need to be not too baggy or they may snag in the chain and cause an accident. You'll need trainers or similar with grippy soles for standard pedals.
- Cyclist's Helmet - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet on events, however a full face helmet and pads are recommended..
- Bag you will need a small day-sack to carry essential clothing, water and an emergency snack.
Food & drink
Please make sure you bring enough water/drinks for the ride.
Please bring enough snacks/food for the ride.
There may be an opportunity to visit a cafe in Buxton at the halfway point