An Unexpected Journey on the Tolkien trail
20 people attending
5 places left
IMPORTANT! - Participation Statement
You MUST complete the Participation Statement, here, in addition to booking your event space before attending an OutdoorLads event. (If you have recently completed this, you do not need to complete it again.)
J.R.R. Tolkien was renowned for his love of nature and wooded landscapes and the countryside around Stonyhurst is richly beautiful. A number of names which occur in 'The Lord of The Rings' are similar to those found locally including Shire Lane (in Hurst Green) and River Shirebourn (similar to the family name which built Stonyhurst).
So come and join us on our own 7 mile adventure around this stunning part of Lancashire nestled in between the Forest of Bowland and Pendle Hill.
All photographs by Andrew Shearwood
COVID-19 – IMPORTANT, Please read the following before you sign up to this event:
- Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms, even if they are extremely mild, or who lives or is in a support bubble with someone showing symptoms, is asked not to attend. This is in line with the government’s coronavirus advice.
- All are required to practice social distancing – staying 2m (not 1m) apart at all times, including when eating.
- Unfortunately, there won’t be any planned pub / café stops en route or at the end, and please don’t share food, sweets or snacks with others – we’re sorry!
- Please bring your own hand sanitising gel for your own use throughout the event. Use of face coverings is at your own choice, but please bring one with you just in case it's needed.
- Each person should only attend one OutdoorLads event a week. (Leaders excepted on events if they are leading.)
- On walks, one person to hold open gates and allow everyone to walk through – so minimising surfaces that multiple people touch.
- Be aware that opportunities for toilet stops may be minimal if facilities are closed.
- Please, please cancel at your earliest opportunity if you are unable to attend or are unwell, so that we can allow others to take up these valuable event spaces.
- Much as it's difficult - no handshakes or hugs!
COVID-19: Events Participation Statement
OutdoorLads draws your attention to the fact that travelling and being away from home increases the risk of receiving and transmitting Coronavirus, whilst it is present in the UK. You are likely to choose not to participate in OutdoorLads events whilst there is a risk of Coronavirus transmission. However, should you choose to participate in OutdoorLads events whilst the risk is present, you must be aware of and follow the law and government guidelines, both when travelling to and from events as well as when participating in events.
Please note that every person participating should be aware of (and accept) that those members perceived as ‘in charge’ or leading the event are not experts, do not need to be experts, and are not regarded by OutdoorLads, or themselves as experts, but are amateurs with some experience in the event type and who are happy to impart their knowledge. Any advice given should be considered with this in mind by the recipient.
By signing up to and attending an OutdoorLads event, you are confirming that you have read, understood and accept the content of this statement.
Please see our website for more information including an FAQ about our events.
What to bring
Walking shoes and appropriate attire. Remember your waterproof jacket
Food & drink
Bring sandwiches, snacks and plenty of water.