Parkamoor - Lakes MTB Day 5
11 people attending
4 places left
NB Good quality mountain bikes, preferably full suspension, but hard-tails are fine. However, MTB tyres are a must. (Sorry no Hybrid or Gravel Bikes)
This is a good (for good read big) day out nearly 30k in length and with 900m of ascent a good pair of legs will be put to the test.
We start by taking the first climb of the north Face Trail (which is probably the best bit of the TNF trail….) After gaining height on this technical climb we leave the forest for while well head south on the open ridge that is Parkamoor. With views down to Coniston water this is the highlight of the day.
After a few more ups and down we get to climb the amusingly named ‘Breasty Haw’, and then bounce hard and fast down her. The final climb is steep, but takes us to the Grizedale Fox (cue cheesy team photo)
A last descent on potatoes and baby’s heads takes us back to the visitor center in time (hopefully) for for tea and medals….
This day ride is only suitable for experienced mountain bikers on good mountain bikes. (Not suitable for beginners or hybrid bikes, sorry!)
These MTB events are open to everyone. You don't have to be part of the Langdale Camp event. However, for those that are, we aim to leave at 08:30 and then drive to the start of the ride
The Langdale Valley is an amazing location with many options of walks, climbs, rides and more from the campsite or within a short drive we can explorer further afield.
There is camping for the five day event of the Lakes Activity Week, arriving Tuesday and departing on Sunday.
I'll be staying at the Great Langdale NT Campsite from the Tuesday afternoon which is a short walk to several pubs for the evenings but there are many other places to stay including the Old Dungeon Gill Hotel, New Dungeon Gill Hotel, Langdale Hotel, Elterwater Hostel, Baysbrown Campsite, Great Langdale Bunkhouse & more.
Please sign up to any Biking events you fancy as below:-
- Wednesday - Whinlatter -Easy to intermediate (bike hire available )
- Thursday - Kentmere - Challenging
- Friday - Little Langdale - Easy, straight from the campsite
- Saturday - Borrowdale Bash - Challenging
- Sunday - Parkamoor - Intermediate (bike hire available )
Looking for LGBTQ+ mountain biking groups in the UK? Read our full guide on gay mountain biking groups
OutdoorLads Events Calendars
You can now go directly to our events calendar pages by bookmarking the follow links:
You MUST complete the Participation Statement at https://outdoorlads.events/CyclingParticipation in addition to booking your event space before attending a cycling event.
Photos: Taken by event leaders and used by OutdoorLads with permission.
Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms, even if they are extremely mild, or who has recently tested positive for Covid-19, is asked not to attend.
What to bring
- A good quality mountain bike. Preferably full suspension, but hard-tails are fine.However, MTB tyres are a must.
- At least one spare inner tube, tyre levers and pump for your bike. Make sure it's the correct type and size. Plus any special tools your bike needs.
- Food - lunch, bring small snacks such as chocolate bars and energy foods.
- Plenty of water (minimum 2lts)
- Eye protection - impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass and not too shaded.
- Clothing: choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Shorts are best even in rain, as they allow free movement of your legs. Jeans are useless if it rains but tracksuit bottoms need to be not too baggy or they may snag in the chain and cause an accident. You'll need flat soled trainers for standard pedals.
- Cyclist's Helmet - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet to events. A full face helmet is highly recommended as are gloves, knee and elbow pads
- Bag you will need a small day-sack to carry essential additional warm clothing, water and an emergency snacks.
- A change of clothing, towel etc for when we finish as you'll probably be covered in mud when we finish!
Any questions, please ask the leader
Food & drink
Please bring enough food and drink for a long day out exerting yourself. There is only one café mid/late ride. 1.5L to drink is a minimum