Mid Week Day Walk - Pen-y-ghent - Yorkshire Dales
7 people attending
13 places left
A great walk in the heart of the Dales, going up one of the Yorkshire Dales 3 peaks Pen-y-Ghent. The walk is approximately 8.4miles starting from Horton-in-Ribberdale and then going up the slightly scrambly south ridge, once at the top of Pen-y-ghent we continue to bag another peak Plover Hill before returning to the village via Horton Moor.
The peak is fairly exposed so make sure you have good warm clothes, waterproofs and boots. Unfortunately, no pub stop so will need food and drink. We can stop for a pint once back in the village.
What to bring
It will probably be cold, make sure you have warm clothes
Recommended Kit List
• Rucksack (with a plastic liner bag or cover)
• Waterproof jacket and trousers
• Walking boots and socks
• Thermal base layer (synthetic fibres rather than cotton)
• Fleece mid layer
• Walking trousers
• Hat and gloves
• Lunch and drink
• Small torch
• Spare food
• Spare warm layer
• Sunglasses and sun cream (if that time of year!)
• Extra thermal leggings and top (synthetic fibres rather than cotton)
• Thermos flask
• Trekking poles
• Personal first aid and medication
• Money for a pub stop at the end of the day!
Food & drink
You’ll need to bring lunch with you and snacks to keep the energy up. Don't forget to eat breakfast!! :)
Make sure you have plenty of water & fluids. A flask of something hot is always good on a cold day.
Good Mountain Foods
• Chocolate of course!
• Sunflower seas
• Nuts & dried fruit
• Energy bars (especially the ones with oats)
At the end of the day if people are up for it we’ll have a drink if everyone’s up for it!