Hope Bowdler - Shropshire Cross-Country MTB - Day2of2
3 people attending
9 places left
A 20km cross-country mountain biking bimble in the Shropshire Hills, perfect for a Sunday. The route follows a number of bridleways in the hills around Hope Bowdler, just east of Church Stretton. The route is non-technical, though rather hilly. A good level of fitness would be beneficial but if just branching out into mountain biking and have a reasonable bike, come along. A link to route is here; don't pay for any subscriptions, I can provide a gpx if required.
What to bring
- A good quality mountain bike. Preferably full suspension, but hardtails are fine.
- Puncture repair kit (or better still a spare inner tube) and tyre levers. Also any special tools that your bike needs.
- Food - bring small snacks such as chocolate bars and energy foods.
- Plenty of water (minimum 2lts)
- Eye protection - impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass and not too shaded.
- Clothing: choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Shorts are best even in rain, as they allow free movement of your legs. Jeans are useless if it rains but tracksuit bottoms need to be not too baggy or they may snag in the chain and cause an accident. You'll need trainers or similar with grippy soles for standard pedals.
- Cyclist's Helmet - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet to events. A full face helmet would be a good idea for those intending to descend quickly.
- Pads. Optional, but knee and elbow pads can stop a fall from ruining your day.
- Bag you will need a small day-sack (or panniers on your own bike) to carry essential clothing, water and an emergency snack.
Food & drink
Bring drinks and nibbles. As it is only a short ride, the plan is to grab Sunday dinner in a country pub afterwards.