Hamilton High Parks Trail Cycle
4 people attending
4 places left
A pre-Xmas ride with a difference - mostly away from busy roads and including some trails along the River Avon.
Our route will take us along the Clyde Cycleway through Blantyre and along the edge of Strathclyde Park into Chatelherault Country Park. After a quick lunch stop there, we'll follow the River Avon south-east, past the ruins of Cadzow Castle along some trails through Hamilton's High Parks. Our return route will take us along minor roads between East Kilbride and High Blantyre.
The event has been classed as off-road as over half of the planned route is on cycle paths or forest trails and is most suited to hybrid, mountain or gravel bikes, but less suitable for road bikes with skinny tyres!
Distance will be around 35 miles. As it starts to get dark around 4pm, bring lights just in case!
What to bring
- Bike. Hybrid, mountain or gravel bikes would be most suited to this ride
- Puncture repair kit (or better still a spare inner tube) and tyre levers. Also any special tools that your bike needs.
- Food - bring small snacks such as chocolate bars and energy foods.
- Plenty of water (minimum 2lts)
- Eye protection - impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass and not too shaded.
- Clothing: choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Shorts are best even in rain, as they allow free movement of your legs. Jeans are useless if it rains but tracksuit bottoms need to be not too baggy or they may snag in the chain and cause an accident. You'll need trainers or similar with grippy soles for standard pedals.
- Cyclist's Helmet - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet to events.
- Bag you will need a small day-sack (or panniers on your own bike) to carry essential clothing, water and an emergency snack.
Food & drink
We plan to have a short lunch stop at the cafe in Chatelherault Country Park, and a further stop for some festive nibbles towards the end of the cycle. However it would be a good idea to carry some spare food and water to keep you going during the ride.