December walking amongst the Marilyns (Penycloddiau)
6 people attending
9 places left
Penycloddiau is one of 5 Marilyns in the Clwyddian range. Like Foel Fenlli and Moel Arthur to the south, it has an Iron Age hillfort at its summit. From the car park, we follow a forestry track through the trees and then across open slopes along the western flanks of Penycloddiau, offering views along the Vale of Clwyd. We then double-back along the Offa’s Dyke path up to the summit of Penycloddiau, through the hillfort at the top and then descend gradually back to the start with great views in all directions
This is around 5 miles and should take around 2.5 hours. Then for those that want to, we will drive to the local pub for a well-deserved drink.
What to bring
It will probably be cold, so make sure you have warm clothes and spares!
Recommended Kit List
- Rucksack (with a plastic liner bag or cover)
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Walking boots and socks
- Thermal base layer (synthetic fibres rather than cotton)
- Fleece mid layer
- Walking trousers
- Hat and gloves
- Lunch and drink
- Spare warm layer
- Extra thermal leggings and top (synthetic fibres rather than cotton)
- Thermos flask
- Trekking poles
- Personal first aid and medication
- Money for a pub stop at the end of the day!
Food & drink
You’ll need to bring lunch with you and snacks to keep the energy up. Don't forget to eat breakfast!! :)
Make sure you have plenty of water & fluids. A flask of something hot is always good on a cold day.
Good Mountain Foods:
- Chocolate of course!
- Nuts & dried fruit
- Energy bars (especially the ones with oats)