A Cornish Easter at Lizard Point
24 people attending
0 places left
3 people waitlisted
Lizard Point is the most southerly tip of mainland UK, part of the stunning Cornish coastline and we'll be staying next to the lighthouse in this beautifully converted Victorian hotel (now hostel) for a Cornish Easter weekend to remember.
Dramatic cliffs, wild flowers and hidden coves characterise this gorgeous landscape, surrounded by the waves on three sides. Marconi's historic wireless experiments are celebrated at the Lizard Wireless Station and the Marconi Centre at Poldhu. Two miles north lies Kyance Cove, considered one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and the iconic Land's End is just an hour drive from here.
What's going to happen?
Good Friday night: The traditional ODL buffet dinner, welcome meeting and If you bring some sparkling wine we can make some bubbly cocktails.
Saturday daytime: We'll be heading out for a full day's walk around the stunning coast. There will be walks suitable for all abilities, depending on leader availability and we will aim to have both an easier and a harder option. Or bring your bike and head out to explore the rolling Cornish coast, grab a board and go surfing or even go for a wander and explore the museum, local cafes and National Trust offerings.
Saturday night: We will be cooking you up a delicious meal to reward a good day out on the coast. We will have games or maybe even a quiz. Plus, for cocktail lovers, we could make some fun Easter cocktails together. Contributions for this optional activity will be arranged nearer the date.
Easter Sunday daytime: Depending on leaders we can either put on another walk or use this day to do our own things, exploring local National Trust places, wandering the beach or maybe even go for a trip to the Eden Project.
Easter Sunday night: We will exchange our Easter eggs, before diving into a great three course Easter roast dinner.
Easter Monday daytime: You are either free to go home or join in a shorter, more leisurely walk or other activity. There may be an opportunity for a pub lunch as well, before people head home and do the ironing.
Dogs: This event is not suitable for dogs.
Images: Image 1 © Copyright Matt Freeman and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence, Image 2-4 Lizard Hostel © YHA England and Wales. Image 5 © Copyright Dr Neil Clifton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence. Image 6 © Copyright Mick Lobb and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
IMPORTANT! - Participation Statement
You MUST complete a Participation Statement, here, in addition to booking your event space before attending an OutdoorLads event. You only need to complete this Participation Statement once, not for each event you attend.
COVID-19 – IMPORTANT, Please read the following before you sign up to this event:
- Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms, even if they are extremely mild, or who lives or is in a support bubble with someone showing symptoms, is asked not to attend. This is in line with the government’s coronavirus advice.
- You must also immediately self-isolate and not attend the event if you or someone in your household or support bubble shows coronavirus symptoms or tests positive. You can find the NHS self-isolation guidance here.
- The main symptoms of COVID-19 are a high temperature, a new continuous cough, and a loss or change to your sense of taste and/or smell.
- You may be subject to local lockdown restrictions, which you must fully comply with. Details of the location of these restrictions can be found here for England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
- We do not encourage car sharing to events during the pandemic. Please comply with the safety travel guidance for England, Wales, and Scotland. Face coverings should be worn on public transport.
- OutdoorLads will support the tracing systems in place across the UK and attendance at an OutdoorLads event is considered permission to use contact details for this purpose if requested by the appropriate authority.
- All are required to practice social distancing – staying 2m (not 1m) apart at all times, including the lunch stop. Remember: Face, Hands, Space.
- Unfortunately, there won’t be any planned pub / café stops en route or at the end, and please don’t share sweets or snacks with others – we’re sorry!
- Please bring your own hand sanitising gel for your own use throughout the day. Use of face coverings is at your own choice, but please bring one with you just in case it's needed. Please bring any other PPE items required. Bring a disposable bag for any used PPE.
- Members are advised to bring their own small first aid kit for personal use..
- Be aware that opportunities for toilet stops may be minimal if facilities are closed.
- Please, please cancel at your earliest opportunity if you are unable to attend or are unwell, so that we can allow others to take up these valuable event spaces.
- Much as it's difficult - no handshakes or hugs!
COVID-19: Events Participation Statement
OutdoorLads draws your attention to the fact that travelling and being away from home increases the risk of receiving and transmitting Coronavirus, whilst it is present in the UK. You are likely to choose not to participate in OutdoorLads events whilst there is a risk of Coronavirus transmission. However, should you choose to participate in OutdoorLads events whilst the risk is present, you must be aware of and follow the law and government guidelines, both when travelling to and from events as well as when participating in events.
Please note that every person participating should be aware of (and accept) that those members perceived as ‘in charge’ or leading the event are not experts, do not need to be experts, and are not regarded by OutdoorLads, or themselves as experts, but are amateurs with some experience in the event type and who are happy to impart their knowledge. Any advice given should be considered with this in mind by the recipient.
By signing up to and attending an OutdoorLads event, you are confirming that you have read, understood and accept the content of this statement.
Please see our website for more information including an FAQ about our events.
What to bring
Check out the standard kit lists if you are not sure.
You hardly need anything special for hostels. YHA Lizard provides full bedding, but you always need a towel and washkit. A couple of nice to have items is a torch (so you can get into the room when everyone has gone to sleep, without turning the light on) and ear plugs.
The coast area can have somewhat changeable weather so you will obviously need what ever kit you usually take for the daytime activities on the mountains! Wet weather gear and a couple of good thermal layers are a must! And a hat and sunglasses for the much hoped for good weather!
You'll need to bring a packed lunch for the Saturday and Sunday and of course any drink you may want of an evening. Plus if you want to take part in the cocktails, we will message a bit closer to the time about this optional activity.
Also, please bring an Easter egg for our Secret Bunny!
Food & drink
Good Friday night: Please bring at least one item for the buffet. Please don't go overboard. This should be something that can be shared by 2 to 3 people and if home made it could have an Easter theme. If you bring some sparkling wine I will be making some bubbly cocktails.
Saturday breakfast: Included in the event cost.
Saturday lunch: Please bring a packed lunch.
Saturday dinner: Included in the event cost.
Easter Sunday breakfast: Included in the event cost.
Easter Sunday lunch: Please bring a packed lunch.
Easter Sunday dinner: Included in the event cost.
Easter Monday breakfast: Included in the event cost.
Tea & coffee: Included throughout the weekend.
Other drinks: Please bring your own.