BSC2019: Fancy being an OutdoorLads walk leader? (Saturday 09:30)
9 people attending
4 places left
Have you ever thought about becoming an OutdoorLads walk leader? Like the idea but not sure what it's all about? Not confident with navigation or map reading?
This Big Spring Camp afternoon session is for members who are really keen and would like to lead walks, but want to find out more about it, ask lots of questions and learn (or re-learn) the basic navigation skills required.
Led by Neil (qualified Lowland Leader and National Navigation Award Scheme (NNAS) tutor) we aim to have some fun talking about being a leader and covering off navigational skills such as:
- Maps - the different types used to plan a walk
- Navigation of the countryside using paths, tracks and other linear features
- Map interpretation, orientation, grid references, map features and how to use an Ordnance Survey map
- Using a compass - orienting a map, taking a bearing and other tips and uses
- Identify key map features and measuring distances
- A guide to essential equipment and what to do in an emergency
- Planning a route for an OutdoorLads walk - resources available to help you
- Getting out and about with a map, a compass and some leg stretching in the local area.
Whether you know a lot, a bit, or really not very much at all, all you need to do is bring an open mind, a willingness to learn some new things and if you have one, a compass, although there will be some available for members to borrow if you don't already have one.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask and drop the event leader a message.
What to bring
Weather dependent but please ensure you have the essentials for walking
Food & drink
Please bring snacks and water for the walking part of the session