Any Rider, Any Bike (Winter Hill, Pennine Moors)
5 people attending
7 places left
3 to 4 hours
Join us on this leisurely social bike ride (for all cyclists and types of bikes) from Manchester to the West Pennine Moors and back.
We’ll be cycling along paved cycle trails, quiet roads & country lanes where possible so this event is open to members with all levels of experience.
We will ride to the summit of Winter Hill which has stunning views of West Lancashire (you can see the Irish Sea coast on a clear day). The terrain is generally flat apart from climbing one large hill which is a tough 200 metre ascent, but there is no rush. The view at the top and descent on the other side makes it well worth the effort!
What to bring
Your will need a road bike or light weight hybrid. Mountain bikes are not suitable.
Apart from your road bike remember the following:.
- Puncture repair kit (or better still a spare inner tube) and tyre levers. Also any special tools that your bike needs.
- Food - bring small snacks such as biscuits, energy bars or gels, bananas, chocolate or dried fruit is great too
- A cycling bottle attached to your bike and plenty of water
- Eye protection - impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass and not too shaded.
- Clothing: choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Given the time of year, please bring multiple layers of clothing to keep you warm and a waterproof lightweight jacket.
- Footwear - Please bring suitable footwear for the type of bike you own.
- Cyclist's Helmet - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet.
- Bag - Not essential, but if the weather is likely to be changeable or you wish to carry supplies and clothing, a small ruck sack or pannier bags attached to your bike could be very useful. We don't want you getting cold or wet.
- Sun cream - Not required in November :)