Whinlatter Forest - Lakes MTB Day 5
14 people attending
2 places left
This is the last of the 5 mountain biking days in the lake District.
Whinlatter is one of my favourite trail centres. Both red trails are fast and flowing with amazing downhill sections. The Blue trail is again an amazing ride which should not to be under estimated. The plan is to do the North Red, followed by the South Red and ending with the Blue . All trails start and end at the Trail Centre cafe so we can stop for refreshments between rides.
This day ride is only suitable for experienced mountain bikers on good mountain bikes. (Not suitable for beginners or hybrid bikes, sorry!)
For those camping, we aim to leave at 09:00 and then drive to the Whinlatter Forest visitor centre
During these five days you can pick and choose your attendance as you like. We are bringing together members of our group in one valley where we will do a number of different activities each day and socialise in the evenings.
The activities will depend on which leaders attend and the weather at the time but we already have walks and mountain biking lined up with more activities to follow as other leaders sign up.
The Langdale Valley is an amazing location with many options of walks, climbs, rides and more from the campsite or within a short drive we can explorer further afield.
OutdoorLads will have booking options likely for the Great Langdale NT campsite in the next few months which will enable us to have the group field so please look for further details soon.
I'll be staying at the Great Langdale NT Campsite from the Tuesday afternoon which is a short walk to several pubs for the evenings but there are many other places to stay including the Old Dungeon Gill Hotel, New Dungeon Gill Hotel, Langdale Hotel, Elterwater Hostel, Baysbrown Campsite, Great Langdale Bunkhouse & more.
Please sign up to any MTB events you fancy or the other day events as below:-
- Grizedale Forest - Lakes MTB Day 1
- Ullswater – Lakes MTB Day 2
- Langdale – Lakes MTB Day 3
- Parkamoor – Lakes MTB Day 4
- Whinlatter Forest - Lakes MTB Day 5
Other day events
What to bring
Apart from your bike remember the following:.
- Spare inner tube and tyre levers. Also any special tools that your bike needs.
- Food - bring lunch and small snacks such as chocolate bars and energy foods.
- Plenty of water (minimum 2lts)
- Eye protection - impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass and not too shaded.
- Clothing: choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Shorts are best even in rain, as they allow free movement of your legs. Jeans are useless if it rains but tracksuit bottoms need to be not too baggy or they may snag in the chain and cause an accident. You'll need trainers or similar with grippy soles for standard pedals.
- Cyclist's Helmet - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet events.
- Bag you will need a small day-sack to carry essential clothing, water and an emergency snack.
Food & drink
There is a on-site Cafe, so either eat there or bring your own lunch. Please bring plenty of water and snacks. etc