Training - Mountain Leader Training Course
4 people attending
8 places left
The Mountain Leader award was established to promote the safe enjoyment of the hills and mountains. The scheme provides 6 -days training in the technical and group management skills required by those who wish to lead groups in the mountains, hills and moorlands of the United Kingdom and Ireland, in any conditions other than in winter conditions.
Many people choose to do the Mountain Leader (ML) training to gain personal competence in the mountains or for leadership development. Others choose to do the award to spend a week learning new skills and spending quality time in the mountains. Their is no obligation to continue onto the assessment phase and there is no time limit of the training.
Course Cost -£350
This course is provided by Snowdonia Walking and climbing and costs £350 payable directly. Nick Read will be the course tutor.
Before you book onto a Mountain Leader training course;
- You must be registered on the scheme with the award body Mountain Training which gives you access to a digital logbook. There is a £49 registration fee. You can do that here https://www.mountain-training.org/qualifications/walking/mountain-leader
- You must have recorded a minimum of 20 Quality Mountain Days which can have taken place at any point (pre or post registration). There is no time limit on this logbook. You can backdate to the 1990's or further if needed.
- You should have at least a year’s worth of experience of mountain walking experience
- You should have an interest in leading groups in the mountains
- You must be a member of a mountaineering council: BMC, Mountaineering Scotland or Mountaineering Ireland (you can join one when you register if you're not already a member) Find out why here Mountaineering Council Membership (mountain-training.org)
Please ensure you have entered your minimum prerequisites in your digital logbook (DLOG) at the time of confirming your place on the training course.
The course would be useful to any ODL members who are already or wish to become Mountain Walk Leaders. It will cover the Mountain Leader syllabus as set by the award body Mountain Training. This includes the following areas:
Group management and the responsibilities of the group leader
Access and the environment
Hazards (including steep ground and rivers) and emergency procedures
Expedition skills including an overnight wild camp
If you can tick all of the above boxes in terms of experience, here's what to do next:
1.Register for the event with OutdoorLads.
2. Create an account on Mountain Training's Candidate Management System or log in if you already have one. Find CMS here https://mt.tahdah.me/account/registernew
3. Register for the Mountain Leader scheme (this costs £49) If you wish to attend the Mountain Leader Training course you need to register with Mountain Training.
4. Send a message to Support@outdoorlads.com and Nick.Read@outdoorlads.com to say you wish to book on this course and if you would like to access available funding (on condition of leading future OutdoorLads mountain walks).
5. Book directly with the Caban Cysgu if you would like accommodation for the course.
If you are a regular walk leader for OutdoorLads and working towards being a Mountain Walk Leader or are already one, there is funding available towards the course cost to help you achieve this valuable course.
What to bring
Please ensure you have the following equipment (this list is not exhaustive):
Appropriate mountain walking clothing
Waterproof jacket and waterproof trousers
Spare clothes (warm layer)
Rucksack 30-40L and liner
Warm hat and gloves or sun hat and sun screen
Vacuum flask / water bottle
Group first aid kit and personal medication
Compass - recommend a Silva Type 4
Relevant maps (1:25 000 and 1:50 000) for Snowdonia
Climbing helmet - 1 can be provided if required
Head torch + spare batteries
Expedition rucksack 50-60l
Sleeping bag and sleeping mat
Toiletries and trowel
Notebook and pen
Not essential but bring along if you have • GPS / Altimeter • Group shelter • Walking / confidence rope
Food & drink
Caban Cysgu is a self catering bunkhouse please bring food and be prepared to cook for yourself or team up with others on the course.