Leader Training - Climbing Wall Instructor Training
8 people attending
0 places left
This is a great opportunity to take part in an OutdoorLads, part-funded training course (and if you're under 26 OutdoorLads will fully fund the course - see below)
The Climbing Wall Instructor Award (Formerly the CWA) trains and assesses candidates in the skills required to supervise climbers on purpose built artificial climbing walls and boulders. It is ideal for OutdoorLads Indoor Climbing Leaders, a number of whom have completed this course previously and found it to be very beneficial, in terms of building their confidence both with climbing generally and in the running of climbing events.
This course lasts two full days (Saturday and Sunday) and is being delivered for OutdoorLads by mountaineering professional and eminently experienced climber, Joby Davis. You can find out more about Joby from his website.
- You should already be an OutdoorLads Indoor Climbing Leader (or have recently applied to be become such a leader)
- You should have at least 6 months of experience of using a variety of climbing walls
- You should have an interest in climbing and in supervising groups on climbing walls
- You must be a member of a mountaineering council (the British Mountaineering Council, Mountaineering Council of Scotland or Mountaineering Ireland)
- You will need to register for the Climbing Wall Instructor scheme (this costs £47) with Mountain Training
- You must have recorded visits to 3 different climbing walls on at least 15 different occasions; this must include at least one major public wall
- You must have led routes on indoor walls
- You must have an understanding of the wider sport of climbing and ideally have climbed outdoors.
There are a number of costs associated with this training - please be sure you understand them all before committing:
- You must be a member of your local mountaineering council (British Mountaineering Council Membership costs £19.97 if signing up by Direct Debit; through their website).
- You will need to register with Mountain Training for the Climbing Wall Instructor Training scheme - this costs £47
- OutdoorLads will fund 80% of the cost of the training for full and concession members - leaving you to pay £28 for this also, which is what you pay via this event page.(This amount is non-refundable if you later cancel your place.) PAYG members would need to pay the full cost, £140.
If you later go on to do your assessment you will have to pay separately for that (although there's nothing stopping you approaching OutdoorLads for assistance with this).
If you are aged 25 or under then OutdoorLads will fully cover items 2 and 3 above, through funding we have received from the Geoffrey Herrington Foundation. More details are available here. Please contact the office if this is of interest to you and to book onto this event.
Whilst this is a two-day course, we're sorry, but accommodation is not included as part of the event cost, but hopefully as they'll be a group of you staying in Birmingham you can arrange something between you - feel free to use the comments box below to share your ideas & thoughts. If this is a difficulty, you could consider applying for help via the OutdoorLads Foundation.
As well as signing up to this course through this event page it is important that you also register for the training through the Mountain Training Website by clicking the Send an Enquiry button on this page to let Joby know you are booked on. (The button will only appear once you've created an account, for which you will need your BMC membership Number, so do that first if you're not already a member.)
What to bring
Joby will provide you with more information nearer the date about exactly what you'll need to bring with you but this will typically include your usual personal climbing gear.
Food & drink
You will need a packed lunch for both days or you can purchase food from the cafes at the climbing centres.