High Peak Rail Trails & Carsington Water
7 people attending
11 places left
A leisurely cycle exploring the White Peak, using a mixture of rail trails, bridleways and quiet lanes.
We will be riding at a gentle pace of 8 to 10mph and no one will be left behind.
Starting near the northern end, we will follow the former Buxton to Ashbourne Railway for about 10 miles to Tissington, before heading east on Sustrans Roiute 547 to Carsington Water following quiet lanes for about 5 miles..We should be able to stop for refreshments at the Visitor Centre.
The return route follows the shoreline path around part of the reservoir followed by a stiff climb on the road to rejoin the High Peak Railway which we follow for about 10 miles back to the start point.
The route is best suited to Hybrid or Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes will be fine, and is quite suitable for electric bikes.
Whilst the ascent (350m) may appear significant, there are only 2 significant climbs both on the road, and can always be walked if necessary.
Given the time of the year, the event will be postponed if freezing conditions are forecast or wintery conditions are bad.
Looking for LGBTQ+ mountain biking groups in the UK? Read our full guide on gay mountain biking groups
OutdoorLads Events Calendars
You can now go directly to our events calendar pages by bookmarking the follow links:
You MUST complete the Participation Statement at https://outdoorlads.events/CyclingParticipation in addition to booking your event space before attending a cycling event.
What to bring
Apart from your bike remember the following:.
- Spare inner tube and tyre levers. Also any special tools that your bike needs.
- Food - bring lunch and small snacks such as chocolate bars and energy foods.
- Plenty of water (minimum 2lts)
- Eye protection - impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass and not too shaded.
- Clothing: choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Shorts are best even in rain, as they allow free movement of your legs. Jeans are useless if it rains but tracksuit bottoms need to be not too baggy or they may snag in the chain and cause an accident. You'll need trainers or similar with grippy soles for standard pedals.
- NB. As it's mid winter, please bring an additional warm layer in a dry bag
- Cyclist's Helmet - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet on events, however a full face helmet and pads are recommended..
- Bag you will need a small day-sack to carry essential clothing, water and an emergency snack.
Food & drink
Please make sure you bring enough water/drinks for the ride.
Please bring enough snacks/food for the ride.
There will be an opportunity to purchase refreshments at the cafe at Carsington Water Visitor Centre