Dumfries mountain biking 1/3: Ae Journey begins!
8 people attending
2 places left
PLEASE NOTE: Meet up time is 13:00 as explained below (just saying this in case of any summer time difference confusion)
Ae is a lovely village in Dumfries with an even more lovely mountain bike trail centre. We will be doing the 24km red route which has excellent flowing descents with technical features including drop offs and optional jumps. This is possibly the best trail centre of the 7 stanes. Please have lunch before arriving at the event. There is also a blue route and extreme down hill area if you wish to mountain bike in the morning before the event.
I will be staying at Barnsoul caravan park which offers space for camping, caravans, pods and chalets. This is conveniently located for all three mountain bike events around dumfries.
More trail centre information:
What to bring
- A good quality mountain bike. Preferably full suspension, but hardtails are fine.
- Puncture repair kit (or better still a spare inner tube) and tyre levers. Also any special tools that your bike needs.
- Food - bring small snacks such as chocolate bars and energy foods.
- Plenty of water (minimum 2lts)
- Eye protection - impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass and not too shaded.
- Clothing: choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Shorts are best even in rain, as they allow free movement of your legs. Jeans are useless if it rains but tracksuit bottoms need to be not too baggy or they may snag in the chain and cause an accident. You'll need trainers or similar with grippy soles for standard pedals.
- Cyclist's Helmet - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet to events. A full face helmet would be a good idea for those intending to descend quickly.
- Pads. Optional, but knee and elbow pads can stop a fall from ruining your day.
- Bag you will need a small day-sack (or panniers on your own bike) to carry essential clothing, water and an emergency snack.
Food & drink
Bring snacks and plenty of water