Chyvarloe Cornish Coast Long Weekend
16 people attending
0 places left
1 person waitlisted
Hostel events are BACK! Join OutdoorLads for our first regular hostel event since March 2020!
Enjoy this extended 3 night adventure with Finding Nemo in Cornwall. We will be staying in a spacious bunkhouse that sits in a rural location in Chyvarloe with spectacular sea views. You can be on a beach in minutes... perfect to catch an evening sunset. This really is a special place.
The bunkhouse has a large open plan sitting, dining and kitchen area where you can kick-back on the cosy sofas in front of the wood burner after a long day's adventuring along the coast. Outside there is an BBQ area with stunning sea views over the Cornish hedges and picnic seating.
Enjoy a bracing cliff-top stomp along the coast path, or, for something a little quicker, jump on your bike and head out along one of the marked trails on the Penrose estate and around nearby Porthleven.
With so much on your doorstep, including a beautiful beach at Gunwalloe, you needn’t stray too far. But magnificent West Cornwall has a lot to offer, not least the spectacular Lizard peninsula, mainland Britain’s most southerly point.
Our traditional Friday night buffet may be followed by a sunset / star gazing walk!
The South West Coast Path is close by, so on Saturday we can hike to Gunwalloe Beach, Church Cove Beach, Dollar Cove and Poldhu Beach.
Dollar Cove is soaked in a history of shipwrecks, pirates and treasure so it’s hard to keep away from these hidden gems.
Gunwalloe is well associated with tales of smuggling and shipwrecks including in 1526 the St Anthony carrying gold and silver belonging to the King of Portugal and in 1779 the wreck of the Dutch vessel Slando Welvern carrying wine. This coastline is littered with wrecked ships many of which date from the 1700s and some of which were laden with treasures.
Once explored, we can also hike in the other direction to Porthleven offering another day of fine exploration. If you prefer surfing or cycling then you could alternatively bring equipment and do your own activity in the area or have a sight seeing drive.
Other places easy to reach by car:
10 mins to Helston supermarkets and Porthleven
19 mins to Praa Sands beach.
27 mins to Kynance Cove, The Lizard or St Michael’s Mount.
Dogs: This event is not suitable for dogs.
Cover: Porthleven Beach by FindingNemo
1. Church Cove from coastal Path by FindingNemo
2. Loe Bar by FindingNemo
3. Gunwalloe Church Cove by Tim Green Creative Commons License Attribution 2.0
4. Kynance Cove by FindingNemo
5. Porthleven harbour by FindingNemo
IMPORTANT! - Participation Statement
You MUST complete a Participation Statement, here, in addition to booking your event space before attending an OutdoorLads event. You only need to complete this Participation Statement once, not for each event you attend.
COVID-19 – IMPORTANT, Please read the following before you sign up to this event:
- Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms, even if they are extremely mild, or who lives or is in a support bubble with someone showing symptoms, is asked not to attend. This is in line with the government’s coronavirus advice.
- You must also immediately self-isolate and not attend the event if you or someone in your household or support bubble shows coronavirus symptoms or tests positive. You can find the NHS self-isolation guidance here.
- This event takes place after 21 June 2021, which is currently the earliest date by which the Government hopes that we will have entered Step 4 of the Roadmap out of lockdown. At step 4, the Government hopes to have removed all legal limits on social contact.
- It is possible that Step 4 takes place at a date later than 21 June 2021 and could affect this event. We will review the situation as things change and will advise members signed up to the event if there are changes necessary to ensure compliance with restrictions in place at the time of the event.
- If the event is unable to proceed sue to Covid-19 restrictions, a replacement date will be offered, or a full refund.
- We must all remember that COVID-19 remains a part of our lives. We are going to have to keep living our lives differently to keep ourselves and others safe. We must carry on with ‘hands, face, space’. Comply with the COVID-Secure measures that remain in place. Meet outdoors when we can and keep letting fresh air in. Get tested when needed. Get vaccinated when offered. If we all continue to play our part, we will be that bit closer to a future that is more familiar.
What to bring
Bedding: This bunkhouse has bunkbeds with a mattress protector provided only. You will need a sheet and a pillow, duvet or sleeping bag.
Water: bring at least a litre
Medicines: if you have hay fever, diabetes, minor ailments etc.
Rucksack: or any other bag
Footwear: hiking boots or sturdy trainers
Layered clothing: lets you quickly adapt to changes in the weather and body temperature. Go for a base layer (vest or t-shirt) and a mid layer (a micro fleece or shirt) and in cooler weather add an outer layer (a windproof jacket or thick fleece)
Trousers: ideally not jeans which become heavy and cold in the rain, breathable fabrics are more comfortable and dry and on warm days shorts are OK
Waterproof jacket: breathable fabrics are more comfortable and dry
Hat or cap: stay warm in winter and shaded in summer
Sunglasses: for any sunny day
Sun cream: can be useful even on cloudy days
A torch: A head torch or an phone torch will do if we do pop out under the stars at night.
Snacks: bring biscuits, energy bars, gels, bananas, chocolate or dried fruit for example and put them somewhere easy to get hold of
Lunch: bring a packed lunch for Saturdays walk. We will not be passing any shops!
Food & drink
On the Friday evening, we'll be having the usual Outdoorlads Buffet and I will be asking everyone to bring a contribution to that. If you can make something, even better!
An evening meal on Saturday and Sunday is included and I may offer up a beautiful Fish Pie which I promise will not contain any of Dory's close friends, but possibly her late Codfather! There will be a vegetarian fish pie too! More exciting food awaits.
Breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday will also be included.
Please make sure your dietary information is up to date.
You will need to bring your own packed lunch for the Saturday and Sunday any other snacks or drinks that you may like during the weekend.