What is OutdoorLads
OutdoorLads runs a range of sociable outdoor activities for gay, bi men and trans guys right across the UK and further afield - activity based things like hiking, climbing, camping, biking, canoeing, scrambling, running and sailing. as well as purely social events.
We have two members of staff running our office, and everyone else is a volunteer.
Friendly and welcoming
Our events are friendly and typically people get stuck in to make sure we all have a good time. The event leader will know who is on their first event and will make a special effort to make you feel welcome.
Experienced, or novice, it doesn't matter
Whether you already have outdoors experience or want to try something new, whether you want to get fitter or just want to 'get out more', sign up for your first OutdoorLads event.
You’ll have a great time with friendly guys who all have a shared love of the outdoors.
What our members say
Every year we survey our members to ensure we're delivering on our promises.
The latest survey was in September 2017, when the majority of our members said:
- OutdoorLads events are fun
- OutdoorLads events are friendly and welcoming
- OutdoorLads events, and the group overall, are professionally run
- OutdoorLads allows me to try new things
- I have made new friends though OutdoorLads
- I feel more energised and positive after an OutdoorLads event
- OutdoorLads provides positive role models for gay men
- I am proud to be a member of OutdoorLads
- I feel more part of a community
- I feel positive about the future
- I am fitter
OutdoorLads has four values that we regularly assess ourselves against:
- Friendly and Welcoming - Whatever the event, and wherever it is, you will always find our guys to be friendly and welcoming. Whether you come with a friend, or on your own, you will be welcomed into the group and can make friends easily.
- Fun - We want everyone to muck in and have a laugh on our events. We might be walking in the rain, or camping in the cold, but there is always loads of fun on our events.
- Adventurous - Whether you are an expert or a novice you can find you own level of 'adventure' with OutdoorLads. Stretch yourself and you might be surprised by what you achieve.
- Professional - Our event leaders deliver consistently great events. You can be sure of good food, a friendly atmosphere, and leaders you can have confidence in - whatever skills the event requires.
Here are some of the things our members say about OutdoorLads.
- OutdoorLads gave me the opportunity to meet bright, friendly, like minded guys who I have developed friendships with- with the added bonus of being in nature and active.
- Joining OutdoorLads is one of the best things I have ever done. I have made lots of new friends, met my partner, seen many beautiful places, tried new activities and grown in confidence.
- I took the plunge and went along to an indoor bouldering event and it was one of the greatest things I've ever done. I'm more comfortable as a gay man, have a mass of new friends and am more active.
- I had very few gay friends before I joined OutdoorLads, but now I have friends across the whole country.
- Joining OutdoorLads is one of the best things I have done. As a leader it gives me a buzz to organise events and lead guys on some of my favourite walks.
- I was alone, isolated and depressed. OutdoorLads was for me literally a lifesaver - I found acceptance and friendship from the word go.
- With OutdoorLads, climbing has become my passion, I have become fitter and healthier than I've ever been.
- I've done some amazing things and made some great friends, joining is one of the best decisions I ever made.
- It has been life-changing to participate in OutdoorLads activities, I have felt part of a group of supportive gay friends for the first time in my life.