Parkamoor – Lakes MTB day 4
10 people attending
0 places left
1 person waitlisted
This is the 4th of 5 mountain biking days in the lake District.
This is a good (for good read big) day out nearly 30k in length and with 900m of ascent a good pair of legs will be put to the test.
We start by taking the first climb of the north Face Trail (which is probably the best bit of the TNF trail….) After gaining height on this technical climb we leave the forest for while well head south on the open ridge that is Parkamoor. With views down to Coniston water this is the highlight of the day.
After a few more ups and down we get to climb the amusingly named ‘Breasty Haw’, and then bounce hard and fast down her. The final climb is steep, but takes us to the Grizedale Fox (cue cheesy team photo)
A last descent on potatoes and baby’s heads takes us back to the visitor center in time (hopefully) for for tea and medals….
This day ride is only suitable for experienced mountain bikers on good mountain bikes. (Not suitable for beginners or hybrid bikes, sorry!)
For those camping, we aim to leave at 09:00 and then drive to Grizedale Forest visitor centre
During these five days you can pick and choose your attendance as you like. We are bringing together members of our group in one valley where we will do a number of different activities each day and socialise in the evenings.
The activities will depend on which leaders attend and the weather at the time but we already have walks and mountain biking lined up with more activities to follow as other leaders sign up.
The Langdale Valley is an amazing location with many options of walks, climbs, rides and more from the campsite or within a short drive we can explorer further afield.
OutdoorLads will have booking options likely for the Great Langdale NT campsite in the next few months which will enable us to have the group field so please look for further details soon.
I'll be staying at the Great Langdale NT Campsite from the Tuesday afternoon which is a short walk to several pubs for the evenings but there are many other places to stay including the Old Dungeon Gill Hotel, New Dungeon Gill Hotel, Langdale Hotel, Elterwater Hostel, Baysbrown Campsite, Great Langdale Bunkhouse & more.
Please sign up to any MTB events you fancy or the other day events as below:-
- Grizedale Forest - Lakes MTB Day 1
- Ullswater – Lakes MTB Day 2
- Langdale – Lakes MTB Day 3
- Parkamoor – Lakes MTB Day 4
- Whinlatter Forest - Lakes MTB Day 5
Other day events
What to bring
- Your bike: This ride is off road and takes in some rocky/ steep descents. Because of this your bike needs to have front suspension, knobbly tyres and working (preferably disc) breaks.
- Eye protection - impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass.
- Clothing: choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Shorts are best even in rain, as they allow free movement of your legs. Jeans are useless if it rains but tracksuit bottoms need to be not too baggy or they may snag in the chain and cause an accident. You'll need trainers or similar with grippy soles for standard pedals.
- Cyclist's Helmet - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet on this event.
- Bag you will need a small day-sack to carry essential clothing, water and an emergency
- Puncture repair kit (or better still a spare inner tube) and tyre levers. Also any special tools that your bike needs.
If it's sunny remember sun cream.
Food & drink
Please bring enough food and drink for a long day out exerting yourself. There is only one café mid/late ride. 1.5L to drink is a minimum