Outdoor First Aid Course for Leaders (near Bristol)
12 people attending
0 places left
3 people waitlisted
If you are an active OutdoorLads outdoor event leader, and have either not been on an outdoor first aid course previously, or in the last three years, OutdoorLads will pay your course fee. If you are not sure if you are eligible, please contact the office on firstname.lastname@example.org who will be able to advise.
You are responsible for your own travel, food and accommodation costs. The course lasts for two days, starting early each morning and finishing in the evening each day.
This outdoor course deals with issues involved with the long term care of casualties in a remote setting. It is often referred to as a Wilderness First Aid or a Remote First Aid.
The outdoor first aid course includes primary and secondary surveys of a casualty, we also look at first aid equipment and how you may adapted and improvise your own equipment to support your first aid kit.
A lot more emphasis is placed on incident management and relaying information to rescue teams.
We assume minimal outdoor equipment is available. There are plenty of opportunities to practice first aid.
This 2 day (16 hour) course is recognised by the National Governing Bodies such as the Mountain Leader Training, British Canoe Union, British Cycling, British Association of Snowsport Instructors etc. Certificates are issued through the OfQual Awarding Organisation
Please use this link to see more detail.
You will need to bring some ID with you; see "What kit to bring" below.
We are hoping that Covid-19 restrictions will allow us to be able to run it, obviously this may change in the meantime and if regulations mean we cannot run this event, we will look to reschedule. However, in the interests of supporting leader development and training, we're cautiously optimistic that this will be able to go ahead.
Photo: Photo by Simon Hawthorn and used with permission.
NOTE: We will be looking to put on similar courses elsewhere in 2021. To register your interest, please drop us a line at email@example.com and let us know where abouts in the country you are!
IMPORTANT! - Participation Statement
You MUST complete a Participation Statement, here, in addition to booking your event space before attending an OutdoorLads event. You only need to complete this Participation Statement once, not for each event you attend.
COVID-19 – IMPORTANT, Please read the following before you sign up to this event:
- Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms, even if they are extremely mild, or who lives or is in a support bubble with someone showing symptoms, is asked not to attend. This is in line with the government’s coronavirus advice.
- You must also immediately self-isolate and not attend the event if you or someone in your household or support bubble shows coronavirus symptoms or tests positive. You can find the NHS self-isolation guidance here.
- The main symptoms of COVID-19 are a high temperature, a new continuous cough, and a loss or change to your sense of taste and/or smell.
- You may be subject to local lockdown restrictions, which you must fully comply with. Details of the location of these restrictions can be found here for England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
- We do not encourage car sharing to events during the pandemic. Please comply with the safety travel guidance for England, Wales, and Scotland. Face coverings should be worn on public transport.
- OutdoorLads will support the tracing systems in place across the UK and attendance at an OutdoorLads event is considered permission to use contact details for this purpose if requested by the appropriate authority.
- All are required to practice social distancing – staying 2m (not 1m) apart at all times, including the lunch stop. Remember: Face, Hands, Space.
- Unfortunately, there won’t be any planned pub / café stops en route or at the end, and please don’t share sweets or snacks with others – we’re sorry!
- Please bring your own hand sanitising gel for your own use throughout the day. Use of face coverings is at your own choice, but please bring one with you just in case it's needed. Please bring any other PPE items required. Bring a disposable bag for any used PPE.
- Members are advised to bring their own small first aid kit for personal use..
- Be aware that opportunities for toilet stops may be minimal if facilities are closed.
- Please, please cancel at your earliest opportunity if you are unable to attend or are unwell, so that we can allow others to take up these valuable event spaces.
- Much as it's difficult - no handshakes or hugs!
COVID-19: Events Participation Statement
OutdoorLads draws your attention to the fact that travelling and being away from home increases the risk of receiving and transmitting Coronavirus, whilst it is present in the UK. You are likely to choose not to participate in OutdoorLads events whilst there is a risk of Coronavirus transmission. However, should you choose to participate in OutdoorLads events whilst the risk is present, you must be aware of and follow the law and government guidelines, both when travelling to and from events as well as when participating in events.
Please note that every person participating should be aware of (and accept) that those members perceived as ‘in charge’ or leading the event are not experts, do not need to be experts, and are not regarded by OutdoorLads, or themselves as experts, but are amateurs with some experience in the event type and who are happy to impart their knowledge. Any advice given should be considered with this in mind by the recipient.
By signing up to and attending an OutdoorLads event, you are confirming that you have read, understood and accept the content of this statement.
Please see our website for more information including an FAQ about our events.
What to bring
Whilst most of the time will be indoors, you need to bring warm and waterproof outdoor gear that could get muddy as we deal with simulated casualties outdoors.
For indoor sessions, please wear loose comfortable clothing; not skirts, shorts or low cut tops. Also, please do not wear lipstick, lip-gloss or lip balms as this hinders the effective cleaning of the manikins.
Please remember some courses will have outdoor sessions; please make sure you bring clothing appropriate to the weather conditions.
You will need to bring with you some form of ID with your signature and / or a photograph on it. We cannot register you onto the course without this.
Food & drink
Bring a packed lunch and snacks to eat during each day. Drinks will be available throughout the day.