Explore Wales’ Largest Ancient Woodland (located between Bristol and Cardiff)
3 people attending
17 places left
WARNING, VERY HOT WEATHER LIKELY, PROTECT YOURSELF FROM THE SUN AND BRING PLENTY OF WATER
Going through mixed woodland, we will pass the highest point in Wentwood (309m) on our way to the Curley Oak (close to the most recent (1996) execution), then to the Foresters Oaks, where twice yearly Law Courts were held, with the last offender hanged in 1829.
We will then go past the Wentwood Reservoir and up to the summit of Gray Hill (273m) where we will find a Megalithic alignment of standing stones, stone circle and neolithic or Bronze age enclosure.
We will then head back to the car park via the “Five Lanes” crossing, where it is possible to head in 10 different directions, which was the scene of Gwent’s biggest ever illegal rave (3000 people, for 36 hours) in 2007.
The area is home to thousands of wildlife species and we may be lucky enough to spot wild deer.
Dogs: Dogs under close control are welcome on this event, so long as owners are able to lift them over locked gates and high stiles.
Photo Credits: All photos taken by Paul Ridealgh; permission is granted to OutdoorLads for further use.
IMPORTANT, Please read the following before you sign up to this event:
- Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms, even if they are extremely mild, or who lives or is in a support bubble with someone showing symptoms, is asked not to attend. This is in line with the government’s coronavirus advice.
- All are required to practice social distancing – staying 2m (not 1m) apart at all times, including the lunch stop.
- Unfortunately, there won’t be any planned pub / café stops en route or at the end, and please don’t share sweets or snacks with others – we’re sorry!
- Public transport use to the start point is discouraged, as this is a non-essential journey.
- Please bring your own hand sanitising gel for your own use throughout the day. Use of face coverings is at your own choice.
- Each person can only attend one OutdoorLads event a week (Leaders excepted on events if they are leading.)
- On walks, one person to hold open gates and allow everyone to walk through – so minimising surfaces that multiple people touch.
- Be aware that opportunities for toilet stops may be minimal if facilities are closed.
- Please, please cancel at your earliest opportunity if you are unable to attend or are unwell, so that we can allow others to take up these valuable event spaces.
- Much as it's difficult - no handshakes or hugs!
Micro Events Participation Statement
OutdoorLads draws your attention to the fact that travelling and being away from home increases the risk of receiving and transmitting Coronavirus, whilst it is present in the UK. You are likely to choose not to participate in OutdoorLads events whilst there is a risk of Coronavirus transmission. However, should you choose to participate in OutdoorLads events whilst the risk is present, you must be aware of and follow the law and government guidelines, both when travelling to and from events as well as when participating in events.
Please note that every person participating should be aware of (and accept) that those members perceived as ‘in charge’ or leading the event are not experts, do not need to be experts, and are not regarded by OutdoorLads, or themselves as experts, but are amateurs with some experience in the event type and who are happy to impart their knowledge. Any advice given should be considered with this in mind by the recipient.
By signing up to and attending an OutdoorLads event, you are confirming that you have read, understood and accept the content of this statement.
What to bring
Please review the Outdoorlads kit lists for a general guide. The route will sometimes be muddy, sometimes rocky and sometimes overgrown with bracken and brambles, but mostly fairly good forest paths. Hiking boots, waterproofs, sun protection, a small rucksack and food and drink are recommended.
Food & drink
Bring enough food and drink for the event; there are no shops in Wentwood. We will stop a few times for snacks and lunch during walk.