Cancelled - London Loop - Whyteleafe to Banstead Downs
13 people attending
17 places left
The London Loop sections are mostly flat or gently sloping. This enjoyable walk explores the edges of London passing through beautiful open spaces such as Hainault Forest Country Park and Bushy Park. The Loop also passes close to many historic sites and buildings. The start and finish of all sections are accessible by public transport
NB - This will be my final Outdoorlads event.
Whyteleafe to Banstead Downs.
During this section of the London Loop we will will pass by:
- Kenley Airfield - the last of London's Battle of Britain fighter stations to survive in it WWII form.
- The unspoilt countryside of Happy Valley and Farthing Downs, with 7th century Saxon burial mounds.
- Oaks Park, once home to the Derby Family and birthplace of the Epsom Derby.
- Around Clockhouse (2/3 way through the walk - we have the option of stopping by the Jack & Jill pub for a mid walk beverage. Unfortunately, the only pub in Banstead at the end of the walk is closed for a function on the day of our walk).
- Mayfield Lavender Farm - not officially open at this weekend, however the public right of way takes us directly through this beautiful place.
The London Loop
If the London you know extends to Westminster, The City and Soho, the London Loop will give you an insight into a very different side to London. (Pretty much all within zone 6) and reachable with little more than an Oyster Card. It's the London that those living 'out there' already know well but you might be surprised by. On its 140 mile route, the Loop takes you through ancient woodland, historic parkland, quaint villages and along canal sides, farm tracks and suburban streets.
IMPORTANT! - Participation Statement
You MUST complete a Participation Statement, in addition to booking your event space before attending an OutdoorLads event. You only need to complete this Participation Statement once, not for each event you attend.
Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms, even if they are extremely mild, or who has recently tested positive for Covid-19, is asked not to attend.
Dudley Miles, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
What to bring
Layers, walking shoes, waterproofs etc
Food & drink
Bring a packed lunch, snacks and plenty of water for the walk. There are some residential sections of the walk to pick up odd bits, but always better to come prepared!