BIG North Christmas 2021 - Cathedral Cave
20 people attending
0 places left
5 people waitlisted
This event is part of the Outdoorlads *BIG North Christmas 2021* and participation is intended for those attending the hostel weekend.
Bring your head-torch and join Will on a walk past Skelwith Bridge to the mines of Little Langdale. We will have the opportunity to explore a network of interlinked quarries. The system is best known for its main chamber, which stands forty feet in height, and is lit by two windows off the main quarry, frequently referred to as "Cathedral Cave”. There are various tunnels to explore, which will require lighting, as one is about 400 feet long.
The whole route is viewable here; approximately 14km with 400m of ascent. Though on established footpaths, the route goes up and down like like the US Dollar. A reasonable level of fitness will be required as the days are short and we have a fare distance to cover, plus I have a hankering for mulled wine and mince pies back at the hostel.
On our way back, if time allows we will stop for a pint at Elterwater.
Photos: Provided by R Overton and used with permission.
IMPORTANT! - Participation Statement
You MUST complete a Participation Statement in addition to booking your event space before attending an OutdoorLads event. You only need to complete this Participation Statement once, not for each event you attend.
COVID-19 – IMPORTANT, Please read the following before you sign up to this event:
- Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms, even if they are extremely mild, or who lives or is in a support bubble with someone showing symptoms, is asked not to attend. This is in line with the government’s coronavirus advice.
- You must also immediately self-isolate and not attend the event if you or someone in your household or support bubble shows coronavirus symptoms or tests positive. You can find the NHS self-isolation guidance here.
- OutdoorLads’ Covid-19 Policy for hostel and BIG events applies to this event. On arrival, we will need to see evidence that you are fully vaccinated, or have registered a negative lateral flow test in the last 48 hours, or have Covid-19 antibodies. Evidence of this can be obtained via the NHS App in England, with equivalent schemes available in Wales and Scotland. Our full policy and more details can be found here.
What to bring
Bring your standard walking kit including;
- waterproof boots, some of the tunnels have a tendency for a few inches of water,
- waterproofs - it is winter and the Lake District,
- spare layers - it may be cold, even snowy,
- a head-torch for exploring a few of the tunnels,
- your gadgets - phones/cameras/battery packs and drones,
- plenty of water,
- chocolate for Will (Heroes are best, I don't like nuts)
Food & drink
Hopefully you will have bought some lunch with you! Otherwise you may go hungry.
(Remember to bring plenty of water with you.)