Trustee Vacancy at OutdoorLads: Trustee for Leaders (Volunteer)
Neil Sharp has decided that the time is right for him to hand over the reins of the role as Trustee for Leaders and Volunteers to someone new. Here's what he has to say:
After 3 years as Trustee for Leaders and Volunteers, I've has decided it's time to step aside and let someone else enjoy the role it. At the next AGM in September, I shall sashay-away from the role but as we're a few months away from that, and because it will take some handover time, my fellow board-ies and I agreed it would be good to start looking for someone to pick up the reins and recruit someone who will find it as rewarding as I have, working with such a dedicated #getoutmore loving bunch.
The job / role spec is below, but if you have any questions, you're welcome to ask me on firstname.lastname@example.org
Trustee for Leaders & Volunteers
Purpose of role: To represent the amazing OutdoorLads leaders and volunteers, on the board of trustees, and work with the board of trustees to achieve the OutdoorLads mission; To improve the mental and physical wellbeing of gay, bisexual and trans men through outdoor pursuits
Summary: OutdoorLads is built on the time, dedication and creativity of its volunteers. Members become volunteers to create events that offer great days out, great weekends away and opportunities to meet like-minded outdoor pursuit loving gay, bi and trans men
This role has the key accountability of representing those volunteers on the OutdoorLads board of trustees, leading the team of regional coordinators and organisers, who then manage the 6 UK regions alongside the support of our office team.
Balancing the needs of the organisation as a national picture is a key part of this role, as is a passion to shape its future.
Time involved: approx. 10-16 hours per month. This role is a minimum commitment of 2-3 years
Ideal qualities: People person, leadership skills, organisation, problem solving, communication, resilience, empathy, commercially savvy and creative.
- Create opportunities to show gratitude and thanks for the time and effort the OutdoorLads volunteers dedicate to the organisation and its members
- Work in partnership with the OutdoorLads office team and regional coordinators to ensure volunteer support requirements are being met
- Lead the monthly regional coordinator Teams call (with regional organisers included every 3 months)
- Put communication to our leaders and volunteers at the forefront of organisational decisions, changes and developments
- Attend quarterly in-person board meetings (this can involve UK travel 3-4 times a year) and quarterly teleconferences – plus the yearly AGM.
- Ensure the Trustee board considers volunteers and leaders in any strategic and operation decision making.
- Work with fellow board members on key projects, activities and events
- Admin / moderator for the Leaders Facebook social media page
- Represent the volunteers and leaders at the annual OutdoorLads AGM – with status reporting
- Lead on the bi-annual leader survey and report on its results at the AGM
- Steer the budget and opportunities for leaders to learn, develop, train and grow as individuals or teams
- Support the office team where required – speaking to regional teams and leaders as and when support is needed
- Mediate / advise and support on issues that might arise where volunteers are concerned
- Awareness of other outdoor and/or LGBTQ+ organisations, and their activity e.g. the Ramblers
Process of application:
- Applications open to all members of OutdoorLads but preference will be given to those who already volunteer for the organisation and value what it means to create “OutdoorLads magic”.
- Applications can be sent as a C.V., as a personal bio or as a video telling us about yourself and why you think you’d be great for the role and how you’d shape its future
- Once in role, a period of handover to take place with the current Trustee for Volunteers and Leaders (1-2 months)
Please return by email to: email@example.com by midday on Friday 31st July