Night Walk - Mam Tor and the Great Ridge
20 people attending
0 places left
10 people waitlisted
If you've never walked at night before there can be something quite magical if the weather is right! This walk is a Derbyshire classic to the top of Mam Tor & Lose Hill (476m). In total it's just under 11km / 7miles.
You'll obviously need a torch, warm clothes, waterproofs and a snacks for breaks.
If the weather isn't looking great I'll be cancelling the walk as it just wouldn't be enjoyable but I'll decide on the Wednesday before.
Probably the most popular walk in the Peak District. Starting at Castleton and taking the route up Mam Tor. The walk continues along the super and appropriately named Great Ridge which overlooks the Hope valley. Passing other sites like Hollin's Cross, Back Tor and Peveril's Castie.
What to bring
Torch, warm clothes, waterproofs, food / drink
Recommended Kit List
• Rucksack (with a plastic liner bag or cover)
• Waterproof jacket and trousers
• Walking boots and socks
• Thermal base layer (synthetic fibres rather than cotton)
• Fleece mid layer
• Walking trousers
• Hat and gloves
• Lunch and drink
• Small torch
• Spare food
• Spare warm layer
• Sunglasses and sun cream (if that time of year!)
• Extra thermal leggings and top (synthetic fibres rather than cotton)
• Thermos flask
• Trekking poles
• Personal first aid and medication
• Money for a pub stop at the end of the day!
Food & drink
You’ll need to bring lunch with you and snacks to keep the energy up.
Make sure you have plenty of water & fluids. A flask of something hot is always good on a cold day.
Good Mountain Foods
• Chocolate of course!
• Sunflower seas
• Nuts & dried fruit
• Energy bars (especially the ones with oats)
At the end of the day if people are up for it we’ll have a drink if everyone’s up for it!