Mountain biking in the city
9 people attending
11 places left
Mountain bike in Manchester! We shall be riding the purpose built trail in Clayton Vale, next to the Sportcity velodrome. This event is suitable for anyone who can ride their bike on a bumpy surface, so an excellent introduction into mountain biking. Hybrid bikes and mountain bikes are both suitable. We shall begin with a session in the skills zone where I will be happy to offer advice on riding roll-offs, drop-offs, steep descents, berms (banked corners) and for more confident riders, jumping. We shall then enter the wooded valley where we will tackle the blue and red mountain bike trails which are about 5 and 7 km respectively.
What to bring
- A hybrid or mountain bike: - Due to the off-road terrain, road bikes are unsuitable.
- Puncture repair kit: - (or better still a spare inner tube) and tyre levers. Also any special tools that your bike needs.
- Food: - Bring small snacks such as chocolate bars and energy foods.
- Plenty of water: - Minimum 2ltrs.
- Eye protection: - Impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass and not too shaded.
- Clothing: - Choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Shorts are best even in rain, as they allow free movement of your legs. Jeans are useless if it rains but tracksuit bottoms need to be not too baggy or they may snag in the chain and cause an accident. You'll need trainers or similar with grippy soles for standard pedals.
- Cyclist's Helmet: - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet events.
- Bag: - You will need a small day-sack (or panniers on your own bike) to carry essential clothing, water and an emergency snack.
Food & drink
There is a cafe where you can buy lunch or bring your own. Please bring plenty of water.