Dumfries mountain biking weekend - day two of 3. - Ride 2
1 people attending
9 places left
Dalbeattie is possibly the best of the 7 stanes. Some moderate climbs and excellent technical single track descents make this an excellent trail for technically able mountain bikers. There is an excellent skills centre for those wishing to improve their rock riding skills on the grippy stone the region offers.
After the event I will be staying at "Barnsoul Caravan Park" near Dumfries. There is space for camping and caravans/campervans as well as pods, statics and little challets available to hire. It is also conveniently placed for a short drive to all three of the Ae, Mabie and Dalbeattie events.
Click the links below for:
Day 3 -Ae
What to bring
- A good quality mountain bike. Preferably full suspension, but hardtails are fine.
- Puncture repair kit (or better still a spare inner tube) and tyre levers. Also any special tools that your bike needs.
- Food - bring small snacks such as chocolate bars and energy foods.
- Plenty of water (minimum 2lts)
- Eye protection - impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass and not too shaded.
- Clothing: choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Shorts are best even in rain, as they allow free movement of your legs. Jeans are useless if it rains but tracksuit bottoms need to be not too baggy or they may snag in the chain and cause an accident. You'll need trainers or similar with grippy soles for standard pedals.
- Cyclist's Helmet - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet to events. A full face helmet would be a good idea for those intending to descend quickly.
- Pads. Optional, but knee and elbow pads can stop a fall from ruining your day.
- Bag you will need a small day-sack (or panniers on your own bike) to carry essential clothing, water and an emergency snack.
Food & drink
Bring a packed lunch to eat en route. Also bring snacks and plenty of water