Dumfries long weekend MTB - Day 1 of 3
8 people attending
7 places left
Mabie is home to quite possibly the best red route in the 7 stanes. We shall be riding the 17 km Phoenix trail which flows beautifully along faultless singletrack flavoured beautifully with technical features including drop offs, optional jumps and sweeping banked curves. Please have lunch before you arrive.
I will be staying at Barnsoul caravan park which offers space for camping, caravans, pods and chalets. This is conveniently located for all three mountain bike events around Dumfries.
Click the links below for:
What to bring
- A good quality mountain bike. Preferably full suspension, but hardtails are fine.
- Puncture repair kit (or better still a spare inner tube) and tyre levers. Also any special tools that your bike needs.
- Food - bring small snacks such as chocolate bars and energy foods.
- Plenty of water (minimum 2lts)
- Eye protection - impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass and not too shaded.
- Clothing: choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Shorts are best even in rain, as they allow free movement of your legs. Jeans are useless if it rains but tracksuit bottoms need to be not too baggy or they may snag in the chain and cause an accident. You'll need trainers or similar with grippy soles for standard pedals.
- Cyclist's Helmet - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet to events. A full face helmet would be a good idea for those intending to descend quickly.
- Pads. Optional, but knee and elbow pads can stop a fall from ruining your day.
- Bag you will need a small day-sack (or panniers on your own bike) to carry essential clothing, water and an emergency snack.
Food & drink
Bring snacks and plenty of water.