Discovering Hidden Gems on South Wales Coastline
16 people attending
0 places left
Set in an area of ‘Outstanding Natural Beauty’ lies The Gower Peninsula set right down in the South West corner of Wales. This weekend event will feature stunning scenery from coastline vistas, ruins of ships and WWII buildings along with some optional extra’s which you will find out about on the event. Two spectacular walks will be on offer over the weekend with a quiz night (with a difference) on the Saturday.
The Hostel is YHA Rhossili set on an elevated point above and just over a mile from the village boasting stunning views across the coastline.
The event runs from 17:00hrs on Friday 12th October through to 14:00hrs on Sunday, 14th October 2018.
The Saturday walk will be a linear walk starting from Port Eynon which is a short car journey from the hostel to the starting point. The length of the walk including all the optional extras is just over 11miles in total. All the details will be revealed on the Friday evening brief but all I shall divulge now is it is a coastal linear walk with assents and descents.
The Sunday walk will be a shorter circular walk, starting at the hostel and will include a hike up to a stunning viewpoint. After the walk on Sunday we will be going to 'The Ship Inn' at nearby Port Eynon for Sunday lunch all are most welcome.
Photographs on this event page are used from the Google free to share and use criteria and hostel photos permission sought and credited to Gower Activity Centres.
The hostel has quite a bit of history attached to the building, its former use was as the village school. It has now been converted into a small capacity hostel.
The hostel comprises of 16 beds which break down into the following 4 bedrooms;
· 1 x Room (Sleeps 8 - Bunk Beds)
· 1 x Room (Sleeps 2 - Twin Beds)
· 1 x Room (Sleeps 1 - Single Bed)
· 1 x Room (Sleeps 5 - Single Beds)
The rooms will be allocated on a first arrival, first choice basis for members.
All bed linen is provided.
The hostel has a large multi activity room with a self-catering kitchen along with 5 showers & toilets. There is also a separate drying room (hopefully it won’t be required!) available for our use. If the weather is kind to us during our stay we have the use of a large south facing garden and a patio area which has some incredible views over the coastline for you to enjoy.
The hostel is also fitted with free WI-FI, broadband internet access with computers as well. However mobile phone coverage is at best described as patchy within the confines of the hostel but outside most should get some signal although it won’t be great.
Car Parking is available at the accommodation in a small area adjacent to the hostel however it will only hold nine vehicles so please try and car share if you can although further parking is available a short walk away from the hostel (details to be confirmed nearer the time of the event).
What to bring
If it’s your first OutdoorLads event or you are trying something for the first time and you’re unsure what kit, you’ll need - don’t worry – the following should help.
If you have any questions, then do message the event leader who can give you further guidance.
This is only a guide - you will need to consider the weather forecast and the activity as described.
You should consider bringing:
· Towel (not supplied at the hostel)
· Washing gear (as you would for a hotel)
· Ear plugs
· Clothes to relax in at the hostel during the evenings
· Items for the buffet on Friday evening
· Packed lunch for Saturday
· Drink (alcoholic or not) for the weekend
· Phone charger
· Walking poles (if you use them)
· Drinks Flask/Container and/or Hydration Pack (2 litres is a good measure)
· Foldable Sit Mat
· Day rucksack: typically, 20-30 litres, they are comfortable to wear
· Boots or Walking Shoes: waterproof and breathable and designed for hiking
· Gaiters recommended for wet weather or boggy conditions
· Socks, proper walking socks will keep your feet dry and help prevent blisters
· Layered clothing: lets you quickly adapt to changes. Go for a base layer (vest or t-shirt) and a mid- layer micro fleece or shirt) and in cooler weather add an outer layer (a windproof jacket or thick fleece)
· Trousers that are ideally not jeans as they become heavy and cold in the rain, breathable fabrics are more comfortable and dry.
· Waterproof jacket: essential when hiking in all but the calmest of weather, breathable fabrics are more comfortable and dry
· Gloves, windproof, or better still, waterproof gloves are the best choice, bring a spare pair if expecting rain
· Hat or cap to stay warm in winter and shaded in summer
· Medicines if you have hay fever, diabetes, minor ailments etc.
· Sunglasses: for any sunny day, even in winter
· Sun cream: can be useful even on cloudy and winter days
· Snacks: bring biscuits, energy bars, gels, bananas, chocolate or dried fruit for example and put them somewhere easy to get hold of
The hostel will provide bedding and linen however I would recommend bringing an extra pillow from home if you do require more than one pillow to get a good nights sleep. Following on from that, blokes sharing rooms does result in a certain level of noise so if you are a light sleeper ear plugs maybe a worthwhile investment and now come in various forms for a couple of quid.
Food & drink
During the event the following meals will be provided for you and are included within your event cost. These are both Saturday & Sunday Breakfasts & Saturday Evening meal.
On Friday evening, we will from 19:00hrs be having an ODL style buffet, further details will be advised on the event pre-message.
Saturday & Sunday Breakfasts will have a small selection of cereals on offer, porridge, fruit juices & toast. We will also be doing a cooked breakfast which will include, Sausages, Bacon, Baked Beans and Eggs.
Please bring a packed lunch with you for Saturday's walk as you will need one to keep you going for the walk. A pre-warning there is nowhere to buy any provisions for this at the start of the walk.
Throughout the weekend included in your event cost we will be supplying, tea, coffee, milk, sugar and a small choice of squash cordials