COVID-19 and OutdoorLads Response
Coronavirus Update - 3 June 2020
Today, we've released a video from our Board of Trustees giving an update on the situation with OutdoorLads and coronavirus. It's below, and well worth a watch!
The key messages in it are:
- Our usual events have been postponed, but we have had loads of amazing virtual #StayinMore events put on by our leaders, which is really appreciated.
- BIG Spring Camp 2020 has been postponed until 2021, which we are disappointed about, but feel it's the safest option
- Those who had bought a place on BSC 2020 automatically have a place at the 2021 event!
- We've been busy planning a host of events for when we can put events on again and #GetOutMore again - now's a great time for leaders to plan even more great events!
- A huge thank you for your support during this period to our members, leaders, co-ordinators, who together make up OutdoorLads.
Coronavirus Update - 22 April 2020
The situation with coronavirus generally remains unchanged and OutdoorLads have postponed all events in April, May and June 2020. See the update below, dated 31 March 2020, for more information on events.
However, we are pleased to announce the introduction of a new category of concession membership on a temporary basis for those whose income has been negatively affected by coronavirus.
We know that the unprecedented situation we all find ourselves in is having an impact on all of our members, but some more than others. We want all of our members to continue to be engaged with the organisation and so we are introducing, on a temporary basis, a new category of membership for those impacted financially by the coronavirus. This new membership category reduces the immediate financial burden on members whose membership renewal is due soon, but retains all other benefits and features of full membership.
With immediate effect, full members with a membership renewal due in the following two months (and on a rolling basis) can apply for a one year reduction in their membership rate from £65 to £13. This is available to:
- Those who have been furloughed at 80% of their usual salary
- Those who have had hours reduced or a salary cut as a direct result of coronavirus situation.
- Those are self-employed and have been unable to work as a direct result of the coronavirus situation.
- Those who have become unemployed as a result of coronavirus
If one of the above circumstances applies to you, and you wish to take advantage of this offer for your membership renewal which is due within the next two months, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request it, enclosing (where possible) a letter from your employer as evidence (feel free to blank out any salary amounts or other sensitive information, etc.)
We’ll then adjust your direct debit just for the next payment to £13, and confirm this to you. Your direct debit for the following year will revert to the standard membership fee in place at the time, currently £65.
This offer is for a temporary period only, and will cease at an appropriate point in time in the future.
Coronavirus Update - 31 March 2020
Dear OutdoorLads members, volunteers and leaders,
Like most areas of life at the moment, the coronavirus situation is profoundly affecting OutdoorLads. It has not been easy to plan for, in these unprecedented times, and we have been overwhelmed by the support and positivity of our members. You have offered us donations, and you have given up so much of your time to lead or take part in some of our #StayinMore events. Thank you all for your continued support.
What this means for our upcoming events
However, we must take a bit of a reality check on the potential impact this will have on OutdoorLads, and what it will mean for our short- and long-term future.
Last week, we were in touch with you to inform you that we were postponing three weeks worth of events to allow us time to consider various scenarios. It is now clear we cannot run events for at least the next few weeks, and as the situation is ever-changing, we have taken the decision now to postpone ALL events in April, May and June.
We hope that this will remove any uncertainty for our members tentatively still looking forward to their next weekend away or day event with us. Where overnight events are being postponed, we're working with our external providers to provide alternative dates, and we'll release these as soon as we know ourselves.
While we may be postponing events now, if things change, we are both flexible and dynamic. We're developing a whole program of events to roll out as soon as we can be released into the outdoors. We're so grateful to our event leaders who've displayed such enthusiasm in this process.
Big Spring Camp
We're also looking at alternative options for BIG Spring Camp. This is the greatest event in our calendar, and is one big celebration of all things OutdoorLads. As soon as we have confirmation of when this will be, we'll get it released. In the meantime, we suggest that you refrain from cancelling your attendance on the event to ensure your place is reserved - and instead wait to see if you can make the new date.
How you can help
With our usual activities affected so severely, we're going to struggle over the next few months as an organisation. We want to continue to be here for you, our members, and there are many ways you can help us get through this:
- Donating to our page.
- Waiting for postponed events to be rescheduled and see if you can make the new date.
- If you're due a refund, accepting this as a voucher off a future event rather than in cash.
- Donating any cancelled event payments back to the charity, if you can afford it.
- Continuing to renew your membership if it's due.
- Nominating OutdoorLads as your chosen charity on Amazon Smile.
- Leading a #StayInMore event to help keep members engaged and entertained! (you don't need to be a leader to do this!)
- If you are a leader - planning new outdoors events for later in the year when we can all #GetOutMore again.
- Most importantly - staying safe at home whenever possible!
Again, we would like to say a massive THANK YOU to all those who've led a #StayInMore event. We're so grateful for the effort you have gone through to come up with innovative ways to keep us all entertained while we're all isolated from one another. We have shown that OutdoorLads really is a community of friends with a love of the outdoors and being together (even if just virtually).
#stayinmore (for now....)
The full and current NHS guidance can be found here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
This page will be updated periodically.