Mountain Bike Trail Ride – Souths Downs Way and the Brighton Coast (38478)
This Mountain Bike Trail Ride will depart from the Truleigh Hill YHA on Saturday the 4th of November (9:45am) as part of the ‘Autumn in the South Downs - Truleigh Scrumptious!’ weekender. It will then drop down to collect riders from Shoreham-by-Sea train station at 10.00.
We’ll mostly be cycling along trails and quiet roads so this event is open to all levels of experience.
The ride will comprise a scenic circular route taking in the South Downs Way and the south coast and will be great introduction to mountain bike / trail riding with some challenging hills, but nothing too difficult.
What to bring
Apart from your bike remember the following:.
- Puncture repair kit (or better still a spare inner tube) and tyre levers. Also any special tools that your bike needs.
- Food - bring small snacks such as chocolate bars and energy foods.
- A cycling bottle attached to your bike and plenty of water (minimum 2lts)
- Eye protection - impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass and not too shaded.
- Clothing: choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Shorts are best even in rain, as they allow free movement of your legs. Jeans are useless if it rains but tracksuit bottoms need to be not too baggy or they may snag in the chain and cause an accident. You'll need trainers or similar with grippy soles for standard pedals.
- Cyclist's Helmet - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet events.
- Bag you will need a small day-sack (or panniers on your own bike) to carry essential clothing, water and an emergency snack.
Meeting & Times
- Event Reference No: