Eccles to Leigh and back (38147)
A scenic circular ride from Eccles to Leigh taking in the suburban and country views of West Manchester. We shall be using disused railways and the canal towpath to escape the hustle and bustle of urban life. This is a relatively flat ride that is suitable for beginners to mountain biking and can be done on mountain bikes or hybrids. After the ride I shall be visiting "The Waterside" pub for some lunch, if you wish to join.
What to bring
Apart from your bike remember the following:.
- Puncture repair kit (or better still a spare inner tube) and tyre levers. Also any special tools that your bike needs.
- Food - bring small snacks such as chocolate bars and energy foods.
- A cycling bottle attached to your bike and plenty of water (minimum 2lts)
- Eye protection - impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass and not too shaded.
- Clothing: choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Shorts are best even in rain, as they allow free movement of your legs. Jeans are useless if it rains but tracksuit bottoms need to be not too baggy or they may snag in the chain and cause an accident. You'll need trainers or similar with grippy soles for standard pedals.
- Cyclist's Helmet - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet events.
- Bag you will need a small day-sack (or panniers on your own bike) to carry essential clothing, water and an emergency snack.
Food & Drink
Bring snacks and plenty of water for the journey, there will be the opportunity to indulge in a pub lunch and some refreshments at the end of the ride.
Meeting & Times
- Event Reference No: